A recent, unexpected stay in Sioux Falls, South Dakota was one of our top highlights of a four week road trip. We explored over a dozen spots throughout the city- read the full City Guide here- and dined at several great restaurants and bakeries. We crowdsourced recommendations for restaurants from fellow travel bloggers, checked with locals at our hotel and places we explored, and read up about local favorites on ExperienceSiouxFalls.com. While we didn’t get to every spot on our original list, here are 10 places we did enjoy. Please note: This post, especially hours, promotions and menu items is accurate as of July 2021, but it is always a good idea to check online before heading out to explore Sioux Falls.
1. All Day Cafe is a large, bright, airy restaurant serving up delicious food for breakfast and lunch. We went for breakfast and were impressed by the large portions and wide variety of options. There are both booths and tables (and large tables for bigger parties), a long bar, and a very inviting outdoor patio (with umbrella shade). The staff was very friendly and there is plenty of space for strollers and high chairs, and a great children’s menu.
Open Monday through Saturday from 7am to 4pm and Sunday from 8am to 2pm
We especially loved the Bacado omelet, pancakes, and Belgium waffles
2. Queen City Bakery makes delicious pastries, cakes and pies, quiches, and desserts from scratch each day. There are over 20 items available with a wide variety of both savory and sweet options. The bakery has a large indoor dining space (currently closed due to the pandemic) and outdoor tables with umbrellas. Be sure to check out the cakes, pies, and quiches, which include gluten free options.
Open 7am-2pm Wednesday- Saturday; 9am-2pm on Sunday; closed on Tuesday
We especially loved the spinach, bacon, Swiss quiche and croissants
3. Look’s Marketplace has been open since 1883, when Carl Look emigrated to the United States from Germany and opened a butcher shop. The shop has since expanded to include a full bakery, deli, grocery, and wine shop. The Food Hall is actually four kitchens that whip up everything from pizza, sandwiches, and soups to sausages and burgers. Guests can grab and go or dine in the dining room, bar, or spacious outdoor patio.
Open Tuesday through Sunday from 9am (kitchen at 11am) until 8pm (7pm on Sunday); closed on Monday
We especially loved the charcuterie board, the pizzas, and the mini shops within the marketplace. If we lived closer, we’d be at Look’s every week.
4. Bread and Circus Sandwich Kitchen has a counter for ordering and both indoor and outdoor casual dining, with sandwiches, salads, fries, and local beer options, all made to order. Staff will bring food to guests’ tables and chilled water is available for guests.
Open for lunch and dinner (11am-9pm weekdays and until 10pm on weekends)
We especially loved the kids menu (with reasonable prices), the covered outdoor patio, and “Naughty Fries”
5. Mackenzie River Pizza, Grill, and Pub has a huge menu featuring pizzas, flatbreads, pastas, and snacks. The portions are quite large and the weekday lunchtime “Rod and Reel” is a very good deal, with two courses for $11. There are also daily specials and great Happy Hour promotions. The restaurant has plenty of indoor seating and a large bar, with a smaller, covered outdoor dining area.
Open 11am-10pm every day
We especially loved the generous portions, lunch special (with Buy One, Get One 1/2 half on Wednesday for a double bonus!) and pizza
6. Roam Kitchen and Bar focuses on wood-fire cooking and has a great menu of options that feature open range meats, plenty of sandwiches and burgers, and fish and salad options, all of which come with a choice of sides. The kids menu is varied and portions are large. There is a very large dining room with booths and tables, a center bar with plenty of seating, and outdoor dining.
Open 11am-11pm, and 12am on weekends
We especially loved the baby back ribs, cornbread skillet, and burgers
7. Stensland Family Farms Ice Cream is available at several retail locations throughout Sioux Falls, but we checked out the Falls Overlook Cafe, run by Stensland Farm. The Cafe serves soups, salads, and sandwiches in addition to ice cream, floats, and milkshakes. There is both indoor and outdoor seating, and restrooms and a small Sioux Falls gift shop are also on site.
Open 11am-9pm, closing at 7pm on Sunday
We especially loved Heavenly Holstein, How Now Brown Cow, and Spotted Cow flavors of ice cream
8. CH Patisserie will transport guests to Paris, right in the heart of downtown Sioux Falls. Chef Chris Hanmer, who is a World Pastry Champion and Top Chef winner, creates beautiful macaroons, croissants, gourmet chocolates, and other yummy treats. There is indoor dining, and hot, made to order coffee drinks.
Open Monday through Thursday 11am-7pm and Friday through Sunday 9am-7pm (4pm on Sunday)
We especially loved the Snickerdoodle, chocolate pretzel, salted caramel, and strawberry cheesecake macarons.
9. Parlour Ice Cream House is another vision of Chef Chris Hanmer, who has created over 75 different flavors, changing each season. Each day, there are up to 18 flavors available and several items are nut free, gluten free, and vegan. There are both indoor and outdoor dining areas.
Open everyday at noon until 9pm (Monday-Thursday), 10pm (Friday and Saturday), 7pm (Sunday)
We especially loved Play Ball gelato and strawberry sorbet
10. Oh My Cupcakes! has almost 40 “cupcake ninjas” who bake over 400 cupcakes every day in each of the two retail bakeries, and up to 5,000 (!!) special order cupcakes for weddings, businesses, and special events. Each day, there are up to 20 different cupcake flavors, and many of them are gluten free. Next day cupcakes are sold as “Yesterday’s Eats” and then remaining cupcakes are donated to local charities.
Open 8am-6pm (closed on Sunday)
We especially loved the yummy cupcakes (Chocolate Cookie Monster, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Peach Bellini were our favs!); the cheery, bright shop with places to sit and enjoy the cupcakes; the super friendly and upbeat ninjas!
For more suggestions on where to dine throughout Sioux Falls, check out this index. For places to explore throughout Sioux Falls, check out our City Guide. And follow along on our adventures on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.